The Do-Nothing Approach to Common Illness
Did you know that catching the common cold & flu has its benefits?
That’s right! Although we could do without the uncomfortable symptoms, having a cold or the flu allows your body to cleanse and rid itself of conditions that develop due to a weakened immune system (most often a result of unhealthy lifestyle practices).
- Being sick helps the body to cleanse and repair, so it’s important to let the illness run its course and the body do its job naturally.
- Following the Do-Nothing approach, don’t treat low-grade fevers with over-the-counter medications. Instead, let fevers run their course. Focus instead on nourishment, rest and getting enough fluids to help your body remove the bacteria or virus you’re fighting.
- Fight the common cold & flu with these nutritious staples: Pastured Chicken Bone Broth, Chicken, Herb & Sprouted GABA Brown Rice Soup, Flu Bomb, Immune Booster Superfood Smoothie and Raw Manuka Honey.
- To really kick cold & flu, try our Nutritionist-Developed One-Day COVID & Flu Fighter Package that includes our Chicken & Rice Soup, Garlic & Ginger Infused Bone Broth, Flu Bomb and top-selling Immune Booster Superfood Smoothie.
- We also suggest you add our 5-day supply of Pure Defense with NAC. Pure Defense with NAC is a supplement that contains a combination of EpiCor®, N-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC), vitamins C + D, zinc, elderberry and antioxidant-rich quercetin to promote overall immune defense and provide enhanced support for upper respiratory health.
So, if being sick helps the body to cleanse and repair, it’s important to let the illness run its course and the body do its job. Hence the old school of medicine “do-nothing” approach.
This Do-Nothing approach focuses on rest and proper nourishment and suggests intervention only if your situation is too much to bear on its own. While you may be inclined to be action-oriented (hello, over-the-counter medicines), by letting the illness run its course naturally and following these do-nothing suggestions, you’ll likely facilitate a quicker recovery. More importantly, you’ll do so without hindering the natural healing and detoxification process that’s also taking place.
Do-Nothing Approach to Common Illness:
1. Rest, rest, rest. Rest is vital. Your body is designed to restore health while it sleeps. We encourage you to rest quietly without stimulation of any kind (phone, iPad, computer, etc.) except your favorite book.
Note: If weather permits, get fresh air while you sleep! Avoid warm air by cracking a window and sleeping with an extra blanket if needed.
2. Eat Healing Bone Broth+ Soups. Proper nourishment is important during illness to provide the body with what it needs to build its defenses. And there’s no better food for the body than easy-to-digest soup made with our nourishing, mineral-rich bone broth.
A staple of our Kitchen Market, our homemade organic Pastured Chicken Bone Broth is pure and clean. Made with pastured chicken bones with alkalizing minerals and anti-inflammatory ingredients, it is far superior in quality to options found at the grocery store.
Even better? It tastes great! Try our ready-to-drink Garlic & Ginger Infused Bone Broth as well as our best-selling Chicken, Herb & Sprouted GABA Brown Rice Soup when sick or just because!
3. Push Fluids. It’s important to assist the body in eliminating the pathogenic invader (i.e. the virus or bacteria) by flushing it out through sweat and urination. Drink plenty of nourishing bone broths, lemon and ginger tea, filtered water with a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt (mineralized water), and diluted fruit juices for kids. Avoid mucus-forming dairy!
Note: At the first sign of a cold, drink a glass of filtered mineralized water every ten minutes for an hour. This will allow a quick house clean and often prevent the cold from progressing further.
4. Take a Flu Bomb. If you’re feeling under the weather, you need our Flu Bomb! Think of it like a natural antibiotic in a cup with concentrated nutrients including antibacterial honey, anti-inflammatory ginger, immune-boosting lemon, antiviral garlic and circulation-boosting cayenne pepper.
Visit our Kitchen Market for this cold & flu remedy made with 100% organic ingredients and sold as frozen cubes (7 cubes per bag). Just add 1 cube to a mug, top with 4-6 ounces of hot water, stir well, and bombs away! Take 3 times per day to kick the immune system into high gear when sick, or for preventative measures, take 1 flu bomb daily.
5. Treat Sore Throats Naturally. When it comes to treating a sore throat, medicinal-grade raw manuka honey is your go-to. Imported from New Zealand, raw manuka honey is praised as nature’s “miracle drug” with portent antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
Intended for medicinal use, put in hot tea to help fight infection and coat the throat. You can also Gargle and drink 16 oz of filtered water with 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a good quality manuka honey. Visit our Kitchen Market for a jar of our Raw Manuka Honey (UMF® 16+) available in 2 sizes: 8.8 oz or 17.5 oz.
NOTE: Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) refers to the natural antibacterial action in this medicinal honey.
6. Don’t Treat Low-Grade Fevers. A low-grade fever sets off an alarm to your immune system to deliver more white blood-cell-fighting soldiers to combat your pathogenic invader. Taking over-the-counter medications to stop this level of fever prevents your body’s immune system from doing its job: to heal and repair. Instead, let your low-grade fever run its course.
7. Take a Cleansing Bath. Relaxing in a warm Epsom salt bath to open up your channels of elimination (i.e. skin and colon) can be extremely helpful. If you feel a cold coming on, a magnesium-rich Epsom bath assists the detoxification that brought the cold on in the first place.
8. Drink Pineapple Juice Tonic for a Cough. Pineapple juice contains a strong anti-inflammatory property called bromelain. This enzyme helps with respiratory problems by calming a cough and helps soothe a sore throat. It may also help break up and expel mucus. It’s also important to drink plenty of water to assist in breaking up mucus and expelling it out of your body. Safe during pregnancy, this Pineapple Juice Tonic is an excellent natural cough suppressant:
Traditional Pineapple Tonic Cough Recipe: Drink 1/4 cup up to three times per day.
- 1 cup 100% pure pineapple juice (not a juice drink)
- pinch of Celtic Sea salt
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw, medicinal-grade Raw Manuka Honey (UMF® 16+) available at Nourished
There you have it—the Do-Nothing approach to your common cold & flu! By following these 8 tips, you’ll be on the road to a quicker, more healing recovery in no time! To shop these suggested cold & flu market items including our One-Day COVID & Flu Fighter Package and our Pure Defense with NAC Supplement, visit our organic Kitchen Market Monday through Friday, from 9am to 5pm!