The holidays are here! Although typically filled with love, joy and cheer, this busy time of year is also cited as one of the most stressful. From coordinating meals and gatherings to shopping for gifts, traveling and managing time with friends and family, the interim between Thanksgiving and New Year is nonstop for the majority of people.
- JAMA Internal Medicine cited stress as the underlying cause of up to 80% of doctors’ visits.
- This holiday season, manage your stress levels by adding adaptogens, a class of herbs with a unique ability to “adapt” their function according to the specific needs of the body.
- Minimize holiday stress-related symptoms – colds and flu, weight gain, indigestion, low energy, anxiety and depression – by drinking Nourished® 100% Pastured Chicken Bone Broth™, doing our One-Day Soup Cleanse™, exercising daily and incorporating twisting yoga poses.
- Want a quick reset after the holidays? Register now for our all-inclusive Seasonal 3-Day Detox on January 7 or January 21. In just 3 days, you can expect to feel lighter and more energetic, and motivated to continue on a healthy path in the new year!
Busy schedules naturally lend themselves to higher stress levels. This isn’t something to take lightly – JAMA Internal Medicine cited stress as the underlying cause of up to 80% of doctors’ visits. From migraines, high blood pressure, insomnia and fatigue to weight gain, constipation and diarrhea, the impact of stress is widespread. While we realize that stress is unavoidable during the holidays, there are certainly things that you can do to help minimize its impact:
- Add Adaptogens – a class of herbs with a unique ability to “adapt” their function according to the specific needs of the body, adaptogens are used to help the body react to or recover from any form of stress. Thus, they help nourish the adrenal and thyroid glands. Reishi, maca and ashwagandha are a few varieties that we incorporate into our products at Nourished®. Highlighted in our Adaptogenic Vegetable Broth™, reishi mushroom helps boost the immune system, prevent cancer, sharpen the memory and decrease cholesterol levels. Maca root, which is featured in our Fat Burner Superfood Smoothie™, is an energizing plant that increases endurance while balancing the hormones. Known to be grounding, calming, and restorative, ashwagandha reduces stress, anxiety and depression, supports sleep cycles and helps lower inflammation. Shop our Wellness Boutique for two different ashwagandha-enriched adaptogenic powders – a chocolate variety and a greens powder. Both come with simple, yet tasty recipes upon purchase, too!
- Drink Bone Broth – rich in collagen, gelatin, amino acids and minerals, bone broth is one of the most healing foods available. Drinking 1-2 cups of this “liquid gold” per day helps repair and restore gut function, boosts the immune system, fights colds and flu, and curbs cravings. To learn about the specific benefits of the Nourished® 100% Pastured Chicken Bone Broth™, read our latest blog “Bone Broth: Not Just Broth, It’s Concentrated Healing.”
- Do a One-Day Soup Cleanse – the holidays are naturally accompanied by overindulgence. Instead of waiting for the weight gain, brain fog and fatigue to set it, get ahead of the game with a day or two of “souping.” Featuring our homemade 100% Pastured Chicken Bone Broth™ or Adaptogenic Vegetable Broth™, our One-Day Soup Cleanse™ can help you reset between holiday parties and family gatherings. It also takes the stress out of meal planning—we do all the work—as you’ll be eating our organic, veggie-packed gluten- and dairy-free soups for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This gentle cleanse offers a break to the digestive system, helping to alleviate bloat, minimize hunger, and keep mood and energy elevated. Furthermore, “souping” floods your body with the easily digestible nutrients – vitamin C, B vitamins and magnesium – that are rapidly depleted with high stress levels, and increased intake of sugar and alcohol. It’s all about balance!
- Incorporate Twisting Poses – detoxifying, bowel relieving and great for lengthening and strengthening the spine, twisting yoga poses can be accomplished seated or standing. By essentially “ringing out” the intestines, these poses massage the abdominal organs. In turn, this stimulates the movement of waste out through the bowels, and is great for alleviating constipation!
- Move More – although you cannot out-exercise a bad diet, it helps in many other ways. Exercise detoxifies, energizes, improves mood, keeps the heart healthy and alleviates stress. We encourage you to find an activity that you enjoy. Whether it’s going for a walk, taking a dance class or doing a yoga DVD at home, find some way to move every single day. We recommend at least 20-30 minutes of exercise a day, which can be broken up into increments if needed.
The holiday craze is inevitable. If you’re someone who always gets sick, feels run down or tends to gain weight around this time of year, then we challenge you to switch things up. Instead of waiting for January to do damage control, we encourage you to do what you can THROUGH the holidays to keep your body healthier and more balanced. By drinking bone broth and doing a One-Day Soup Cleanse™, you’ll keep your immune system strong, weight regulated and cravings in check. Adaptogens and daily exercise will help manage stress, improve mental clarity and boost your mood. Finally, if you’re feeling bloated, gassy or constipated, try twisting yoga poses.
If all else fails, register now for our Seasonal 3-Day Detox on January 7 or January 21. With this all-inclusive meal program, in just 3 days, you can expect to feel lighter and more energetic, and motivated to continue on a healthy path in the new year!